Saturday, July 12, 2008

Good morning turns mourning

One sunny morning sometimes midweek of June a grandma greeted me with no fake a smile in her face and asked how my country has been doing. I answered back all is well with me and I’m hoping my country does the same.

I stretched out the devastation caused by the cyclone that hits Myanmar, the deadly earthquake which damaged Sichuan province of China leaving millions of people homeless with just an approximately 10 days apart of occurrence. Another earthquake follows on June 15 somewhere in northern Japan that caused landslides which buried another life to death. With emphasis and worry I add that those countries including Philippines are in close regions so most expectedly either one of the disaster will hit the country too.

After few days she approached me with sympathy regarding the news a typhoon landed in the Philippine Islands causing ferry to sunken, massive flooding, mudslides and more. With consolation she ended what we can do when natural phenomena occur. Yes what can we do I uttered.

The aftermath of it many people lost lives and shelter, farm crops were damaged and some infrastructures ruined giving the country another unbearable burden. I’m saddened and crushed with the news I did watch too.

The more that I’m lonely when I have known that our beloved President GMA insisted of meeting President Bush even though she know that a certain powerful typhoon was heading the country. She would rather please world leaders than her own people. President Bush would have understood had she cancelled the trip. I am even mourning when the presidential entourage as according to Val Abelgas includes contingent of her entire family, 10 cabinet members, two senators and 59 congressmen – would cost the people millions of dollars at a time when they are already wallowing in poverty. It is not that I’m not favorable with traveling but at times of crisis, people’s need and security should be the first priority. With that kind of entourage doubt will surely arise. Pleasure or business? I don’t think President Bush needs all the people in that trip.

Had only our government would sensible enough to see how its people living in hardship. If only wise enough to consider its citizens be benefited from what they worked for, not only just satisfying themselves from their own interest. How many more millions of people’s money would spend in extravagant travels? Do you need to impress the whole world when they all know the human violations you have been accused for?

No comments: