Monday, July 28, 2008

Alongside Chico River

I grew up as a typical kid in a family where Chico River is approximately 150 meters away from the foundation of our house. We spent a lot of childhood memories in here. In the riverside we used to play kite flying, hide and seek, and running among others. We also did rafting with my brothers, crossing back and forth to the other side of the river, without minding that any moment the owner of the raft will arrive for we used it without permission. I could still remember how funny it was because we don’t know how but we learned hard so far. We are here most of the summer days to swim, dive, play and build sand castles. We have family picnics alongside too in a shady big tree. The river has a plenty of fish and we are fondly catching some barely handed.

I am even drowned accidentally in the place where mermaids used to stay as according to hearsay. That every time I came to remember it, I’m being frightened of the thought “hadn’t I survived I am no longer around in this world of fantasy”.

As our house is overlooking the river, most days of the year I am seeing the calmness of the water and its sound became a mellow music to the ears. The water mostly stays clean, clear and greenish and refreshing to the eyes. Our beloved town is really benefited by the gift of this nature. It is used as water and food resources. As well, a source of sand and stones for building houses, other structures, stone masonry and especially the on-going Suyo-Cervantes National Road.

I remember during our elementary years, our teachers used to inform us that the river we have is a winner being the Cleanest River in Region I in many consecutive years and runner-up entire the country.

Its head water is found in Mountain Province, it flows down passes through Cervantes and Suyo before it finally joins the Amburayan River then out to China Sea.

This river is no arguably breathtaking. Staring to its smooth and rough waves, bends and flows, I gathered some strength and enliven me unfathomable. I find it captivating especially I’m partly nature lover.

Through this simple blog I’ve created in its name, it is one in many ways a manifestation of appreciation and gratitude. Giving back some love and care to the river that inspire me in some ways and let me believed no matter how rough life is, “like the living water though first cut is the deepest it never runs dry.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Chico river I knew was in Bontoc. It was beautiful then and water was clean and abundant even during the summer months. Recent pics I've seen is the opposite of what it was once.
Chico River will always be a part of me, a little scar on my left eyebrow was caused by diving and accidentally hitting a rock under.
As nature lovers always say, hope this river is cared for, we cannot over reemphasize it's importance to the ecology.
Cheers to you and goodhealth.